Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tomorrow's Another Day

I know I said I wasn't suppose to go nuts on EVERY holiday but....

Yesterday I just needed a break from counting.  I've worked so hard for three weeks on checking that everything that goes in my mouth was okay and within the constraints of weight watchers that I finally just said no, I'm not counting today.  I had done really well the night before at my in-laws house so I decided a break was in order. I pretty much made this decision once I knew I had blown my points for the day at 11a.m (damnit delicious leftovers!).  At first my mind tried to tell my body I was done eating for the day, but then I told myself that was ridiculous and to just enjoy the day with food, and don't avoid labor day BBQs just because food was going to be present.  I decided not to deprive myself, so I didn't!  Part of fixing myself is how to cope with social situations and food, after all the holiday season is right around the corner and its time to start preparing. 

What helped ease my mind  was the decision I made to do a 6 mile run before I went over to the BBQ festivities.  Since it was a mid-sixty afternoon day I felt it was perfect weather to go outside and clear my head.  Knowing then once I got to the party that I had ran for almost 80 minutes prior I didn't feel so bad having a cookie or scoop of taco dip.  I even made a mental note to look at my plate.  Since doing weight watchers I've noticed I have drastically cut my portion size.  Prior to doing this system I would literally pile food onto my plate that I knew I liked.  Now, I scoop up what I feel is a portion, eat my share, then SIT and see if I'm satisfied or if I really do need seconds.  It's really helped me fight this addiction I've been battling with food.  I physically felt a difference yesterday.  I made a mental note to do the same thing once Thanksgiving rolls around, to go and do a long early morning run, then take eating slowly!

The other reason I decided to make it a "binge" day was to see if I was mentally capable of letting that much food sit in my stomach at this point in the journey without attempting to throw it up.  What a relief, it wasn't a battle at all.  I just kind of came to terms with I had eaten more than my fair share for the day, and I would wake up and be back on the bandwagon tomorrow.  Today was truly a new day, I woke up knowing I would be counting again and planned for a post-work elliptical session.  The labor day binge break even made it easier to jump back on the band wagon.  I told myself I had my breather, my break, my stress relief from counting (it was without a doubt, needed) and that the journey starts back up again today.  These breaks are not something I intend to plan (with the exception of Thanksgiving and Christmas) like I have in past diets.  In my diet mind, weekends never counted, it was an eating free for all, but I know that didn't help me or my waistline.  What I have learned about breaks is  know they are something I need to incorporate in my diet, just not so regularly.  It helps keep the diet train moving, without taking a sudden halt with Ed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment