Thursday, September 1, 2011

I.R.B

And sometimes... Life is just knocked into perspective.

My cousin's middle son, Issac, passed away this morning at the tiny age of 9 years old.  9 years old, a life just beginning.  About two years ago he went to the emergency room with a terribly high fever and stomach cramps.  Turns out he had children's diabetes, in one of the most extreme cases possible.  Although he made a full recovery his life was from that point on dictated by regular insulin injections and a new eating lifestyle.  For a 7 year old he was very "on top of" taking care of himself, very responsible, very adult-like for only nine.  Last night, for whatever reason, he passed away in his sleep due to either too high of sugar, or too low.

Guilt, sadness, perspective, and a bit of anger at myself.  That's what's going through my head right now.  How is it that a small child is so responsible with his eating habits and responsibilities to a dietary disorder, yet takes his life away?  I, on the other hand;  couldn't have been anymore irresponsible with my body, practically bringing it to hell and back and here I stand today, alive and well.  What my cousins are going through at the moment I can't even imagine, and let alone even imagine putting my parents through the same the thing.  What I got this morning was a cold hard punch to the stomach, and a wake-up call that there is no turning back on this journey to recovery. 

Prayers to little Issac Richard Boeckman <3

No comments:

Post a Comment