Monday, October 29, 2012

New Meal Monday



So it should be a surprise to no one the weekend gives me anxiety. I typically throw the diet to the wind (which I embarrassingly did this weekend, as predicted) and am left feeling Monday guilty, panicked, and stressed for the week's weigh in. I always convince myself of the worse case scenario (like I gained 23 pounds in a weekend) and I use this mindset to harbor the worst habits imaginable throughout the week. I made myself a new promise this week- no matter how bad I was this weekend; I'm going to fix it before Friday. I will do this with 3 goals:

1. Cut out pop- replacing only with water. Let’s see how this plays out.

2. Hit the gym- hard. We're talking hour workouts with no excuses. I promised myself this weekend that it was ok to eat how I was- but only if I would make up for it in the gym this week with a 150% improved effort from last week. I plan on keeping this promise, but I should probably find a more interesting book.

3. Create a new healthy meal to keep me entertained and within my points. I'm starting to really enjoy cooking- especially when I know it’s going towards my weight loss goals. Hence, introducing this blog's newest tradition! New Meal Monday!

This Week's New Meal Monday: Roasted Red Pepper and Herb Pasta with Chicken (changed and adapted from myrecipies.com)

Meal for 2:

Ingredients

1 Red Bell Pepper

1 1/2 Cup Uncooked Whole Grain Pasta (I'm using Rigatoni, or swirly pasta and I call them)

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 tablespoon minced garlic (I love garlic, so I left this with the original version)

3 Raw Chicken Tender Strips, sliced

2 oz lemon juice

1 tablespoon parsley

1/2 teaspoon thyme

1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (because I don't have the recommended sage on hand)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil (set aside for later)

1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese (set aside for later)

Preparation:

1. Preheat Boiler

2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 20-25 minutes or until blackened on 350. Peel and chop; set aside.

3. Cook pasta according to directions, keep warm.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic to pan, and cook for 4 minutes stirring frequently. Add chicken to the pan, and cook until done. Add bell peppers and 2 oz of lemon juice to the pan, and cook for 4 minutes or until half of the liquid has evaporated. Add chopped parsley and the next 5 ingredients (through 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper) to the chicken mixture. Remove pan from heat.

5. Combine cooked pasta and 1/2 teaspoon olive oil in a large bowl; toss well. Add chicken mixture, tossing gently to coat. Top each serving with cheese.

Nutrition: Calories: 376 Fat: 10.5 Fiber: 4.9 WW Points (Old System): 8


I ended up cutting the butter, and using it on bread instead. I'd call it a win. A little time intensive (30- 45 minutes) but my husband (and I) loved it. He gives it 5 out of 5! Not bad for a picky eater. We'll be keeping this one for future recipes go-to's.

We had all the ingredients already at home- a first for me and new recipies!

 
Wah-la! A finished, delicious, meal for 2!



No comments:

Post a Comment